Summer is HERE!!
Congratulations to all the Worland and Tensleep graduates, we will miss those seniors in 4-H as they wrap up their 4-H careers! We wish them all the best in their future endeavors.
Summer Intern – This summer we are pleased to welcome Kellynne Doyle as our 4-H summer intern! She will be working in our office, helping with different 4-H activities/events. She starts May 23rd and works through State Fair. Please help me give her a warm welcome to Washakie County 4-H. We are excited to have her a part of our team!!
With graduation and summer comes a flood of activities for our members to participate in. Listed below is some important information to know, 4-H activities for the month, and deadlines coming up:
- There are lots of project meetings happening now, so hopefully you have been contacted by your 4-H Club leader and have attended a monthly meeting or have got started on your 4-H project with a 4-H leader. If you have not please contact the Extension Office so we can put you in contact with the right leader. We want to make sure your 4-H experience is wonderful and if you have any questions, please let us know here at the Extension Office.
- Clover Bud Meeting – May 26 – 3:30pm – Extension Office – Open to youth ages 5-7 years old. Clover buds will be talking about summer safety fun.
- Market Animal Tagging – All market animals MUST be tagged if you plan to show at county fair. Plan to come either Tuesday, May 31th from 5pm – 6:30pm in Worland at the fairgrounds or Thursday, June 1st from 5pm – 6pm in Ten Sleep at the Rice Ranch. All market animals (sheep, swine and goats) MUST be present on one of these days.
- Livestock Quality Assurance – As you may know the Junior Livestock Sale Committee has voted to make Livestock Quality Assurance again mandatory for all 4-H and FFA members planning to sell animals (to include, beef, sheep, swine, poultry, goats and rabbits) at the Junior Livestock Sale during county fair. This is a requirement each year. This year is a FLEX YEAR, which means you are able to attend any livestock educational opportunity, fill out the form, have it signed and turn it in to be approved and considered passed for the year. There are a variety of opportunities scheduled and several more in planning. All educational opportunities need to be completed by June 30 to be eligible to sell at the Junior Livestock Sale.
- NEW for livestock members – The Junior Livestock Sale Committee and Washakie County Fairboard have decided to allow family animals – what does that mean? It means that a family can tag an extra animal for the family in the case something happens to member’s animals. “The purpose of the family animal is for hardship cases. Each family (same mailing address) may designated one animal, per species, as a family animal during official tagging dates. The animal may be tagged and designated for all members of the family and must follow county fair deadlines. At weigh-in during county fair the family can designate which child that animal is to be assigned to permanently (animal may be assigned as 4-H or FFA at that time). This animal is eligible to sell at the Junior Livestock Sale, however NOT eligible for state fair. All other rules still apply to the family animal (tagging dates, weights, ownership, etc).” Effective October 1, 2015. Any questions, please contact the Extension Office.
- Range Plant ID Camp – The University of Wyoming Extension is holding a two day range plant identification workshop for all 4-H and FFA members on June 14th and 28th. Registration is due June 1st. Find out more information here!
A few important deadlines are approaching fast…
- Market sheep, goat, and swine tagging coming up in Worland (May 31st) and Tensleep (June 1st)
- Registration for 4-H Camp is also due soon! Registration needs to be in by June 1st. You can find the registration form here. Cabins are also available on a first come first serve basis, so get your spot ASAP! You can call the office to reserve a spot in the cabins, or for more information.
- Ownership Deadline for all other animals (breeding beef, breeding swine, breeding sheep, dairy cattle, dairy goats, rabbits, poultry, dogs, and cats) is June 1st
- Livestock Quality Assurance Education Opportunity deadline is June 30th